Monday, August 18, 2008

Why I Do This Job

Today I had one of those "Why I Do This Job" moments.
After a very stressful weekend, I was feeling pretty crap this Monday morning. At that stage where you wonder why you bother. So, I'm sitting in front of my computer feeling stressed and a bit emotional when I get an e-mail from a bride who recently got married and had just seen her images for the first time.

It simply said "Four Words for you - Oh My God Amazing. You have such a great gift John. I am blown away"

Well, I have to admit that it caught me in a moment of weakness and I actually had tears in my eyes! Yes it's a business at the end of the day, but these type of comments mean so much to me and really make all the effort worthwhile. All the late nights of editing, all the stress, all the worry, everything, forgotten in a few seconds.

Feel a bit sad posting this on my blog but I think it's an important part of what I do. I run a business, but I really, really love making people happy, and sometimes you forget how important and special it is to have such an important job to document the biggest day of someone's life. It's a great feeling when someone gets emotional about seeing images you've created. Tears - even better!! I get caught up in the emotion often, I've actually had tears welling up at many occasions during the day of a wedding. It's an emotional day and despite doing 250 of them I still get the same feeling. I still get hairs standing up on my neck when I see genuine emotion between bride and groom.

I think when I stop feeling these emotions I will know it's time to quit.

I should point out that I do get loads of messages just like today's but this just seemed to come at the right time. Turned me to a sentimental numpty :-) I'll be back to normal soon.

1 comment:

Sarah Ferguson said...

Hello John,

I know I texted you a while back to say how delighted we were with the album/photographs but, every time we take the album out you always creep up in our minds. Every person we show the album to, can not believe how creative and unique the photgraphs are. The standard is outstanding. They are absolutely stunning and the work you produce is an absolute credit to you. I personally have never seen such an innovative and artistic photographer as yourself. You truley are an artist. We feel very honoured that you were there to capture our special day. Seeing your photos make the emotions so prominent bacause of the images you have produced. I will certainly be promoting you if I hear of anyone getting married. We really hope you'll stay in touch with us and we always look forward to seeing your new work as you keep getting better and better. Take care,and again, many thanks,

Sarah Ferguson x