Thursday, May 15, 2008

Copying my work

I came in for a bit of criticism amongst certain circles last week for commenting on a certain somebody copying my work. I think it's worth pointing out that I am not saying someone can't take pictures in the same locations as me. I am not 'slagging off the competition' as someone said. I am merely expressing my feelings after spending several years having to deal with this. So, on the subject of style and copying I'm going to say my bit again. I know there is no copyright on style, but this is not a case of me finding someone on the other side of the world who, by coincidence, has a similar way of working.

The point is right from day one when I started up here I set out to be different to the rest. As a result my work has become popular not only amongst customers, but also amongst other photographers. Now someone has seen this happening and rather than invest time and effort into doing their own thing and carving out their own style within the same small market, they have decided to do exactly what I do, much cheaper. To an untrained eye, the product does not look that different, only cheaper.Therefore this does directly affect my business, and there is a very good reason for feeling annoyed.

The point is every time I try to offer something different to the area, it is not different for very long. I also realise that this happens in other businesses, but in this case it's my personal artistic style which is being abused, by someone who cant be bothered putting the work in themselves. It would be nice to see other photographers in the area being imaginitive and forward thinking, and most of them are and most of them are also good friends of mine. It's just a bit of a shame that one person is short of imagination, and that all they can offer is an imitation of someone elses work. They are of course cheating themselves as well, by not attempting to have their own style, which to me is one of the most important aspects of being a photographer. We are all influenced by other people in life, but I have never wanted to be the same as the guy next door. Surely that shows your own shortcomings more than anything. I would think that developing your own style would actually make you a better photographer than copying someone else anyway.

Until you are in a job or career where your imagination and art is being badly imitated, and as a result business being stolen, I feel it's a bit unfair of a few people (and I know who they are and what their motives are) to say that I have no right to be angry and that I should 'accept' this and get on with it. I'll wait for the usual suspects to start having a go, but I'd like the rest of the people who read this to have an idea of my feelings on this subject, as most of them do understand what is going on.

Also worth pointing out that I am regularly sharing my ideas, thoughts and skills with hundreds of other photographers, both locally, nationally and internationally, through the SWPP and also personal contacts. I also have many people who I mentor in one way or another again locally and nationally. If I was the kind of person who didn't like others getting on I wouldn't do that. I attend the local camera club and give them talks at least once a year, and regularly pass things on to other local photographers. Difference is I know these people will take away what I say and add some ideas to their own style. I'd be bitterly disappointed if I saw any of them entering a copy of one of my images in a print competition, but would be proud and flattered if I saw a huge improvement in their own style of work, and that being entered.

I am always around to help other photographers, and get a hell of a lot of enjoyment from it. It's just a shame people outside photography cannot see how frustrating it is to keep coming up with great new ideas only to see it somewhere else 2 weeks later. I'd appreciate if anyone wants to comment this time, that they are good enough to leave contact details so I can answer their questions etc.

No comments: