Tuesday, September 22, 2009

Aileen & Albert, Orkney Islands Wedding

The last leg of an incredible 8 day adventure which had 5 weddings and much travelling. Weddings in Wick, Inverness, Cyprus, Inverness again and Orkney in 8 days. I love Orkney and really wish I did more work over there - need to look into that. It's such a beautiful place and the people are awesome!
So I headed over this morning on the Pentalina ferry from Gills Bay, my first time on the new boat at Gills. It was a good sailing and a much improved boat from the last one. Anyway, the couple getting married were Aileen Strutt and Albert Bruce, from Harray, and Aileen was getting ready at her parents house in Kirkwall. The wedding was at the magnificent St Magnus Cathedral in the town, which is a superb wedding venue. The bridal party and immediate family went out to Earls Palace at Birsay for the photography session, which was a load of fun! The reception was back at Harray Hall, where I joined the party for dinner, speeches (very entertaining), and the dance.


I had arranged to stay over in Kirkwall on the Saturday night, and photograph the post wedding party at Aileen and Albert's house on Sunday, so since I was there we decided to do the quickest-after-the wedding Post Wedding Shoot ever in the morning!
We headed out with plans to shoot at the more famous Ring of Brodgar, but I spotted the Stenness Stones on our way across and decided they were ideal, and less busy with tourists. It wasn't the best day, very windy and had been raining, but it was MY kind of day :) Gloomy skies, and loads of mood. I was delighted with what we got in a short time, and then we headed back for barbecue and party at their home. Late afternoon I headed off to the ferry after a great weekend, but absolutely knackered!

4 comments:

Joe Jord said...

Hi John, some lovely shots - love the moody ones. Orkney looks brilliant and i must visit soon.

Unknown said...

Blown away John. I just love the depth of the images. Really great work. The couple must be so pleased.

Neil Redfern said...

Great work once again, John. I love the moody black and white landscapes.

Kelly said...

Hi there we live and got married in orkney in 2003 I wish so much we had discovered you before then!!!! These photos are amazing!! Fantastic!